Endometriosis is a disease that affects 10 to 15 percent of women worldwide. It causes the tissue that normally lines your uterus (endometrium) to grow in places other than your uterus and can occur at any stage of life.
The endometrium usually grows and sheds during the process of your menstrual cycle. However, if you have endometriosis, this normal shedding process can occur in other locations in your body, causing endometriosis.
There are various causes of endometriosis that need to be ruled out before diagnosing this condition. However, it is relatively easy to diagnose and treat once you know what signs and symptoms to look out for.
Babies & Us IVF centre in Mumbai has a team of seasoned gynecologists who are highly skilled in handling all cases of endometriosis. The team offers advanced and result-oriented endometriosis treatment in Mumbai.
Let’s explore the possible causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and endometriosis treatment in Mumbai. Read on to learn more.
What are the possible causes of endometriosis?
Some of the potential causes of endometriosis include:
- Ovarian cysts.
- Polyps in the fallopian tubes.
- Blocked fallopian tubes or tubal scarring.
- Uterine fibroid tumors (nonpuerperal) or uterine leiomyomata.
- Problems with your immune system, such as having an autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus erythematosus, may make it harder for your body to fight off infections and inflammation that can lead to endometriosis.
- Infection of the endometrial tissue with bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites, including sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) like gonorrhea and chlamydia.
Signs and symptoms of endometriosis
The signs and symptoms of endometriosis vary from person to person. For example, some women may experience lower back pain while others do not.
However, in general, the most common signs and symptoms of endometriosis are:
- painful menstrual periods
- painful bowel movements
- heavy or irregular menstruation cycles
- unusual vaginal discharge
- difficulty urinating
- tenderness during sex
- chronic pelvic pain
- involuntary bladder leakage or urinary incontinence
- infertility or difficulty conceiving children
- cramping or abdominal pain in the lower abdomen during or after sexual intercourse
If you notice any of the above symptoms, you should see an endometriosis specialist. If you are in Mumbai, you can schedule an appointment with one of our expert gynecologists to begin your treatment.
Who is at risk of acquiring endometriosis?
- A common misconception is that endometriosis only occurs in women who have periods. In reality, this condition can affect women at any point in their life.
- Studies suggest that between 5-10 percent of women of reproductive age currently suffer from endometriosis, with an increasing rate of occurrence among younger generations of females.
- Age appears to be one factor associated with acquiring endometriosis. The link between endometriosis and age varies. But as women age, they may become more susceptible to the disease's risks because their bodies may not be able to fight off the disease as well when they were younger.
- Women with a history of endometriosis are more likely to get it again than one without such a history.
- One cause for concern is obesity, which contributes to the development and progression of endometriosis. Obese women tend to have higher diabetes and metabolic syndrome rates, leading to increased production of hormones associated with endometrial growth.
Diagnosis of Endometriosis
To confirm Endometriosis, the doctor may perform and/or suggest the following tests:
- Pelvic exam: The doctor may perform a pelvic exam to check whether there are any cysts or scars inside the uterus.
- Imaging tests: Endometriosis can be diagnosed using a CT scan or an ultrasound image.
- Laparoscopy: The surgeon may perform laparoscopy. It involves making a small incision in the stomach and inserting a thin tube containing a camera. It allows the doctor to see lesions or scar tissue.
- Biopsy: Following laparoscopy, the doctor may remove a small piece of tissue to examine under a microscope to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatments for Endometriosis
If you have been diagnosed with endometriosis, our experts may offer effective endometriosis treatment in Mumbai to help alleviate your discomfort and pain.
Endometriosis treatment is determined by the severity of the pain and clinical signs and the likelihood of conceiving.
Some general treatments for endometriosis include:
- Pain medicines: The doctor may prescribe over-the-counter pain relievers to relieve menstrual discomfort.
- Hormonal therapy: In some cases, supplemental hormones can help minimize endometriosis pain. Endometrial implants thicken, damage, and bleed as hormone levels rise and fall during the menstrual cycle. Hormonal therapy may slow endometrial tissue growth and prevent new implants.
- Conventional surgery: When a patient is trying to get pregnant, conventional surgery that entails removing as much endometriosis as possible while keeping the uterus and ovaries may help.
- Assisted reproductive techniques: Assisted reproductive treatment options, such as IVF, may help with conception, and often doctors suggest it if the conventional surgical procedures fail.
- Hysterectomy: In severe cases, surgical removal of the uterus, cervix, and ovaries (complete hysterectomy) may be the best decision. Hysterectomy is usually considered a last option, especially for women of reproductive age.